Hide

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

hide
Hide
Hide

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: BISHOPTHORPE.     Church dedication: SAINT ANDREW.     Church type: Discharged Vicarage.

Area 760 acres. Ainsty wapentake. -Population, 445; Church-room, 290; Net value, £134. -In the town of Thorpe St. Andrew are three carucates of land, whereof Robert Bustard held two carucates of the King in capite, at the rent of four marks per annum; and the Arch bishop of York held 10 oxgangs of the fee of Lutterell; and Robert de Holdebert held six oxgangs of Richard de Malbys, of the honour of Eye, at the rent of 6d. per annum; and the Prior of St. Andrew's in York, held 17 oxgangs in the same town.

The Church was appropriated by Archbishop Gifford, in 1269, to the Priory of St. Clement's, near York, and a Vicarage ordained therein, 1st November 1269. See the particulars of this ordination in Torre's MS. and Drake's Eboracum. The Vicar is charged with the reparation of the Chancel, but at the new building thereof shall bear only his proportion.

At the Dissolution, the patronage came to the Crown, but by Act of Parliament, 20th Geo. II. cap. 20, it was restored to the Archbishop in exchange for Helperby.

F. Lawley, Esq. and representatives of A. Barlow, Esq. are the impropriators.

1 Kal. April, 1241, Archbishop Walter Grey ordained a Chantry in the Chapel of Thorpe St. Andrew.

Not named in Pope Nicholas's Taxation. Value of the Vicarage in the King's Books £4 per annum, and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 536, it is stated to be above the annual value of £20.

Augmented in 1729 with £200 to meet a benefaction of £200 from Archbishop Blackburn, and in 1731 with £200 to meet a benefaction of £200 from the Archbishop of York.

An inclosure Act was passed 30th Geo. II., and another 3d George IV. as to Middlethorpe Stray.

The Parliamentary Commissioners recommended that Dringhouses, and also Acaster Malbis be annexed to this parish.

There is a glebe house fit for residence. An additional burial-ground was consecrated 16th October 1767.

The Register Books commence in 1692.

Charities:
Thomas Annotson's gift, by will, in 1659, 2a. 1r. 2p. of land. Rent distributed to the poor by the minister.

Richard Maurice's poor's land. Rent of one acre, bought with £20 given in 1719.

Charles Crossby's gift. 26s. per annum in bread, for six widows, and 20s. to the poor in money.

Thomas Earby's gift, by will, in 1693. Rent charge of 40s. per annum, to the schoolmaster. -Vid. 11th Report, page 714.

Post town: York.


References:
Torre's MS. page 325. Abp. Sharp's MS. vol. i. pages 61, 338. Drake's Eboracum, page 382. Gent's Ripon, page 63. Hargrove's York, vol. ii. page 517. Mountain's Cawood, page 26. Nonae Roll, page 230.


Notes:
*1 Anciently called Thorpe St. Andrew.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.