Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for BOLTON PERCY: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

BOLTON PERCY: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"BOLTON PERCY, a parish in the Ainsty of the city and county of York, 8 miles to the S.W. of York, its post town. It is a station on the Great Northern railway. The townships of Appleton-Roebuck, Colton, and Steeton, are included in this parish It took the addition "Percy" from the Percys of Topcliffe, who formerly held the manor. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of York, of the value of £1,540, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church, which is spacious and well built, is dedicated to All Saints. It was erected in 1423 by Thomas Parker, then rector', and contains some monuments to the Fairfaxes, and one to Sir W. M. Milner, Bart., who died in 1811. There are three stalls in the chancel, and some good stained windows. The Wesleyans have a chapel here. The charitable endowments of the parish amount to £34 per annum."


"APPLETON ROEBUCK, a township in the parish of Bolton-Percy, Ainsty of the county of York, 4 miles to the E. of Tadcaster. The North Midland railway passes near it. In the reign of Stephen a nunnery was founded at Appleton by Adeliza de St. Quintin, dedicated to God, the Virgin, and St. John the Evangelist. At the Dissolution it was granted to Sir William Fairfax and Humphrey Shelley. The present house called Nun Appleton Hall, was erected by Thomas Lord Fairfax, and subsequently became the seat of Sir William Milner, Bart. The park is well wooded, and in the midst of pleasant scenery. The Wesleyan Methodists have a chapel here."


"COLTON, a township in the parish of Bolton Percy, in the Ainsty of the city of York, in the county of York, 4 miles N.E. of Tadcaster, its post town, and 3 from the Bolton Percy station of the Great Northern railway. Divine service is performed in the village school-room."


"STEETON, a township in the parish of Bolton Percy, {partly with}in the Ainsty {and partly in the West Riding county York, }3½ miles N.E. of Tadcaster, its post town, and 3 N.W. of Bolton Percy. It is situated on the line of the North Midland railway. The inhabitants are wholly agricultural. Steeton Hall, now a farmhouse, was formerly the seat of the Fairfax family, and where Lord Fairfax slept the night before the battle of Marston Moor."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013