Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: BOLTON PERCY.     Church dedication: ALL SAINTS.     Church type: Rectory in charge.

Area, 7,320 acres. Ainsty. - Population, 993 *1; Church-room, 500; Net value, £1,540. -The Church of Bolton was given by Picot de Percy to the Priory of Nostell, but on 4 Kal. December, A.D. 1150, the Prior and Convent of Nostell transferred the patronage thereof to the Archbishop of York and his successors for ever.

The Rectory is valued in Pope Nicholas's Survey at £40, and in the King's Books at £39. 15s. 2d. In the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 540, at £250 per annum. Synodals, 4s.; Procurations, 7s. 6d.

On the 10th January 1323, Pope John XXIII. appropriated the Rectory to the table of Archbishop Melton during his life, granting him power to reduce the Church to pristine state. Whereupon the said Archbishop collated Robert Byngham to serve as Vicar during the union for the term of his life, assigning him a competent portion for a maintenance.

The Church was built by Thomas Parker, who died Rector in 1423, and on the 8th July 1424, a commission was granted to the Bishop of Dromore to consecrate the Church and church-yard, also the high altar of the Church, newly erected and built.

Torre gives a list of the Rectors to Tobias Wickham, 1660, which is also given by Drake.

In Gent's Ripon is a rude draught of the Church, and an account of the monuments, pulpit, bells, and painted glass.

William de Percy gave one acre of land here to the nuns of Nun Appleton.

There is a glebe house fit for residence.

There was an Act passed in the 37th Geo. III. for inclosing the parish.

Charities:
Day's gift, 1763. The Rev. Francis Day left £50 to the poor, the interest to be distributed yearly by the minister and churchwardens to poor persons who do not receive alms, placed on good security.

£21, given by an unknown individual, placed on good security, and the interest distributed to the poor of the township of Bolton Percy.

Benjamin Reynolds, by will, dated 15th May 1807, bequeathed £100, to be placed on good security, and the interest disposed of for the relief of poor persons belonging to the township of Bolton Percy, and not receiving parochial assistance. Invested in the York Savings' Bank.

Lindsay's charity, 1769. Dame Mary, wife of Sir John Lindsay, Knight, and daughter of the late Sir William Milner, Bart., gave £200 in bank stock, the interest to be distributed among the poor of the townships of Bolton Percy and Appleton Roebuck, at the discretion of the owner of Nun Appleton, who, with the rector, are perpetual trustees. The stock is now increased, and 10 guineas is paid to a schoolmaster at Bolton Percy for the instruction of boys, and a like sum to a man and his wife at Appleton Roebuck for teaching girls. The remainder of the dividends is distributed partly in money, and partly in flour, blankets, &c.

James Moyser, Esq., of Appleton, left a rent-charge of 20s. per annum, paid out of an estate at Appleton Roebuck, for the poor every Christmas day.

Poor's Stock. -£25, being the amount of several small donations, is placed out, and the interest distributed along with Day's charity. -Vide 10th Report, page 717.

The Priory of Nun Appleton, in this parish, was founded in the latter end of King Stephen's reign, by Alice de Saint Quintin, for nuns of the Cistercian order. At the Dissolution, it was valued at £37. 9s. 10d. per annum. No vestiges of the Priory remain. The site now belongs to Sir W. Milner, Bart. -See the family pedigree in Thoresby's Duc. Leod., page 214.

The Register Books commence in 1571.

Post town: Tadcaster.


References:
Vid. Torre's MS., pages 135. 141. Archbishop Sharp's MS., vol. i. page 63. Gent's Ripon, page 49. Mon. Angl., vol. v. page 652. Mon. Eborac., page 276. Tanner's Notitia, page 665. Drake's Eboracum, page 385. Burton's Monasticon, pages 277. 302. Nonae Roll, page 226.


Notes:
*1 Viz. Appleton Roebuck, 538; Bolton Percy, 220; Colton, 150; and Steeton, 8.5. The township of Appleton Roebuck has decreased in Population 47 persons, attributed to emigration.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.