HEALAUGH: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
"HEALAUGH, a parish in the ainsty of the city, and East riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles N.E. from Tadcaster, containing 191 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £6, endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £800 royal bounty. - Brooksbank, Esq. was patron in 1814. The church is dedicated to St. John the Evangelist. About the year 1218 a convent of Regular canons was established here, which at the dissolution was valued at £86. 5. 9."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]