HEALAUGH: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"HEALAUGH, a parish in the Ainsty of York, county York, 3 miles N. of Tadcaster, its post town and railway station. It is a small village, and formerly had a priory of Regular Canons, founded by Jordan de St. Maria, and Alice, his wife, in 1218. This edifice subsequently became the residence of Lord Wharton, and is now a farmhouse, surrounded by a moat. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of York, value £100. The church, which was rebuilt in 1860, is situated on rising ground. It has a tower containing three bells, and is dedicated to St. John the Evangelist. It contains an alabaster monument with effigies of Sir Thomas Wharton and his two wives. Healaugh Hall, the principal residence, is situated in a park on the N. bank of the river Wharfe. Here is a school for both sexes."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013