The Ancient Parish of KIRK HAMMERTON
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"KIRK HAMMERTON, a parish in the West Riding of Yorkshire, but containing some places located within the Ainsty of York."
"SKEWKIRK, a farm house in the township of Tockwith and parish of Kirk Hammerton, 7 miles NE. of Wetherby."
"WILSTHORP, (or Wilstrop) in the parish of Kirk Hammerton; 7.5 miles WNW. of York. Pop. 95."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835,, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1890 History and Directory of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kirk Hammerton to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE465556 (Lat/Lon: 53.994354, -1.292214), Kirk Hammerton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.