KIRK HAMMERTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"KIRK HAMMERTON, a parish, partly in the wapentake of Upper Claro, West Riding county York, and partly in the Ainsty of the city of York, 1 mile S. of Green Hammerton, and 7 miles W.N.W. of York. It is situated on the river Nidd, over which is a bridge of three arches, called Skip Bridge, about a mile from the village. The parish contains the township of Wilstrop, and is well wooded. The land is chiefly arable and the soil rich. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Ripon, value £132. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is an ancient structure with a square tower, and was enlarged in 1835. The Wesleyans have a chapel. The charities produce about £6 per annum."
"WILSTROP, a township in the parish of Kirk Hammerton, Ainsty, county York, 7 miles N.W. of York, near the river Nidd."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013