Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: LONG MARSTON. Church dedication: ALL SAINTS. Church type: Rectory in charge.
Area, 4,260 acres. Ainsty wapentake. -Population, 584 *2 Church-room, 350 *3; Net value, £865. -A Rectory, anciently belonging to the patronage of the Wyverthorpes, then of the Crepings, and from them to the Middletons, Nesfields, Inglebys, and Roundells. The patronage is now in Beilby Thompson, Esq.
Torre gives a catalogue of the Rectors.
In the year 1400, a faculty was granted to the parishioners to take down the Church, which was ruinous and far distant from their habitations, and to remove the materials to another Chapel situate in the said Parish, and there to build themselves a new parish Church. provided that they kept up enclosed the cemetery where their old Church stood.
A Chantry was founded in this Church.
Valued, in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £21. 6s. 8d.; in the King's books, £24. 3s. 7d. Synodals, 4s.; Procurations, 7s. 6d.; Tenths, £2. 8s. 4½d. -Vide Nonae Roll, page 228. In the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 530, at £140 per annum.
An Inclosure Act was passed 6th Geo. III.
There is a glebe house fit for residence.
A mortgage of £250, under Gilbert's Act, will cease in 1848.
11th September 1745, a faculty was granted to take away a cottage belonging to the Rectory.
The Register Books commence in 1648. There are a few earlier entries, but illegible.
School, on the National plan. -Payment, 1d. per week; supported by a rent-charge of £10 per annum ; purchased with £200, left, in 1705, by Richard Roundle, and the interest of £150, left, in 1757, by the Rev. Marmaduke Buck.
Ackroyd's charity, by will, dated 12th September 1518. Exhibition at either of the Universities for one of his blood or name, and if not one of his blood or name able or fit, then one out of Marston or Hutton. Endowment: rents of four ancient houses, a barn, and 32a. 1r. 18p. of land, all situate at Batley, and let, at the time of the Report, for £108. 13s. The students are still selected from the founder's kin. There are five trustees, of whom the Rector of Long Marston for the time being is one.
William Wright's benefaction, by will, dated 26th April 1793. Interest of £20 to the poor of Hutton Wandesley at Christmas. -Vide 16th Report, page 402.
Post town: York.
Torre's MS., page 281. Drake's Eboracum, page 393. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. i. page 72.
*1 Alias Wannesley, alias Hutton Wannesley, alias Long Mereston.
*2 Angram, 67; Hutton, 116; and Long Marston, 401. In 1834, the Population was returned at 650.
*3 According to the return in 1818. In 1834, the return was sufficient.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.