LONG MARSTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
"LONG MARSTON, a parish in the ainsty of the city, and East riding of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of Angram, Button, and Long Marston, and containing 579 inhabitants, of which number, 388 are in the township of Long Marston, 6 miles N.E. from Tadcaster. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £24. 3. 9. Sir R. T. Lawley, Bart, was patron in 1821. The church, dedicated to All Saints, was erected about 1400. A National school has been established here, and is partly supported by a rent-charge of £10, the bequest of Richard Roundle, and the interest of £150 left by the Rev. Marmaduke Buck, in 1757 Within the parish is Marston Moor, the scene of a memorable and most obstinately disputed battle, fought on July 2, 1644, between the royalists under Prince Rupert, and the parliamentarians, commanded by Fairfax, in which fifty thousand British troops were opposed to each other, and which ended in the total defeat of the king's army."
"ANGRAM, a township in the parish of LONG-MARSTON, ainsty of the city, and East riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles N.N.E. from Tadcaster, containing 66 inhabitants. In 1705, Edward Randall bequeathed £200 to the poor of Marston, Hutton, and Angram, the produce of which is applied to the instruction of poor children."
"HUTTON, a township in the parish of LONG-MARSTON, ainsty of the city, and East riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles N.N.E. from Tadcaster, containing 125 inhabitants. Here were formerly a market and a fair for three days."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]