LONG MARSTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"LONG MARSTON, a parish in the Ainsty, county York, 5 miles N.E. of Tadcaster, 7 W. of York, and 3 from Moor Monkton railway station. The parish includes the townships of Angram, Hutton Wandesley, and Long Marston. The village is Situated on the York and Wetherby road, near the line of the Knaresborough and York railway. Marston Moor in this parish is celebrated in history as the scene of an obstinately contested battle fought on the 2nd of July, 1644, in which the Parliamentarians under Fairfax defeated Prince Rupert. The land is chiefly arable, and the soil clay, alternating with sand. The tithes were commuted for land under an Enclosure Act in 1766. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of York, value £865. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient Norman edifice, with a tower containing three bells and a clock. The earliest legible entry in the register bears date 1648. The Wesleyans have a chapel erected in 1850, and there is a National school. Andrew Montague, Esq., is lord of the manor of Long Marston, and Lord Wenlock is lord of the manors of Hutton Wandesley and Angram."
"ANGRAM, a township in the parish of Long Marston, Ainsty of the city, and the county of York, 4 miles to the N.E. of Tadcaster. There is an endowment, by Edward Randall, in 1705, for educating poor children in this township, Marston, and Hutton."
"HUTTON WANDESLEY, a township in the parish of Long Marston, in the Ainsty, county York, 5 miles W. of York. The soil is clayey. This township is owned by Lord Wenlock, who is lord of the manor. The principal residence is Hutton Hall."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013