The Ancient Parish of NETHER POPPLETON
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"NETHER POPPLETON, (or Lower Poppleton), a parish, 4 miles NW. of York, is pleasantly situated on the banks of the river Ouse. The Church is a vicarage, dedicated to All-Saints, in the deanry of the Ainsty. The living is under the patronage of the Archbishop of York, the present incumbent the Rev. T. Gilpin. Here is a school and house for the master, endowed with £10. per annum, conducted upon Dr. Bell's plan. Pop. 254."
"UPPER POPPLETON, in the parishes of Nether Poppleton and York St Mary Bishophill the Younger, in the liberty of St. Peter's, 4 miles NW. of York. The lands here were formerly in the possession of the Abbot of St. Mary's, at York; given by Osbern de Arches, to that abbey, almost at its first institution. Sir Thomas Weddrington writes, that there was a Mayor of York killed at Poppleton, in the reign of king Richard II. as he conjectures, in some controversy betwixt the monks and the citizens. Here is a small chapel of ease, which has the privilege of christenings and burials, but not marriages, and a Methodist chapel. This village is pleasantly situated within one mile of the river Ouse. Population 346."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- Transcript of the entry for Nether Poppleton in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Nether Poppleton.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Nether Poppleton to another place.
- In 1866, Nether Poppleton (wholly in this parish) and Upper Poppleton (a part in this parish) were united for ecclesiastical purposes. See Nether Poppleton with Upper Poppleton parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE562547 (Lat/Lon: 53.985304, -1.14444), Nether Poppleton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.