NETHER POPPLETON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
"NETHER POPPLETON, a parish in the ainsty of the city of YORK, and east riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles N.W. from York, containing 254 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in. the archdeaconry and diocese of York, and in the patronage of the Archbishop of York. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is a very ancient structure. A school was established, in 1799, by John Dodsworth, who endowed it with £10 per annum; it is conducted upon the National system, and is aided by voluntary subscriptions. The parish is situated on the river Ouse."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]