NETHER POPPLETON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"NETHER POPPLETON, a parish in the Ainsty, county York, 4 miles N.W. of York, its post town. It is a station on the York, Knaresborough, and Harrogate section of the North-Eastern railway. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the river Ouse, and is chiefly agricultural. The soil consists of sand and clay. The line of the Great Northern railway here crosses the river Ouse on a bridge of three semi-elliptical arches, 30 feet above the bed of that river. The parish includes part of the chapelry of Upper Poppleton. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of York, value £155, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient stone structure, with a tower containing two bells. The interior of the church has several monuments of ancient date, also a stained E. window. The register dates from the 15th century. There is a Church of England school for both sexes, in which a Sunday-school is also held. Andrew Montague, Esq., is lord of the manor."
"UPPER POPPLETON, (or Over Poppleton), a chapelry in the parishes of Nether Poppleton, and York St Mary Bishophill the Elder, York Ainsty, 4 miles N.W. of York, its post town. It is a station on the York and Harrogate section of the North-Eastern railway. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the York and Boroughbridge turnpike road, and is wholly agricultural. The tithes were commuted for land under an Enclosure Act in 1769. The living is a perpetual curacy annexed to that of Copmanthorpe, in the diocese of York. The church is an ancient structure with a turret containing one bell. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. A. Montague, Esq., is lord of the manor and principal landowner."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013