Hide

STILLINGFLEET: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

hide
Hide
Hide

"STILLINGFLEET, a parish in the ainsty of the city of YORK, partly in the liberty of ST-PETER-of-YORK, but chiefly in the wapentake of OUZE-and-DERWENT, East riding of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of Acaster-Selby, Kelfield, and Stilling-, fleet with Moreby, and containing 878 inhabitants, of which number, 404 are in the township of Stillingfleet with Moreby, 7 miles S.W. from York. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Cleveland, and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £9. 7. 6., endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of York. The church, dedicated to St. Helen, is an ancient structure, exhibiting some portions in the Norman style j attached to it is a chapel, in which is a cross-legged figure in armour, of one of the ancient family of Moreby. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. Four poor children are instructed for an annuity of £1. 10., the bequest of the Rev. Mr. Turey."


"ACASTER SELBY, a township in the parish of Stillingfleet, (that part which is in the ainsty of the city), and East riding of the county of York, 1 mile S.W. from York, containing 188 inhabitants. This place formed part of the possessions of the abbot of Selby: the village is pleasantly situated on the banks of the navigable river Ouse. A college for a provost and two or three fellows, one of whom was to instruct children, was founded here by Robert Stillington; at the dissolution its revenue was £33. 10. 4. Here is a free school which is supported by a small endowment."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]