STILLINGFLEET: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"STILLINGFLEET, a parish and township chiefly in the wapentake of Ouse, East Riding county York, but partly in the Ainsty of York, 7 miles S.W. of York, its post town. The village, which is extensive, is situated near the river Ouse. The parish includes the townships of Moreby, Stillingfleet, and Kelfield. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York, value £412, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The church, dedicated to St. Helen, is an ancient structure, and has attached to it a chapel, in which is a cross-legged figure of a knight in armour, said to be one of the Moreby family. There is also a district church at Acaster Selby, the living of which is a perpetual curacy, value £40. The Wesleyans have a chapel. There are village schools."
"ACASTER SELBY, a township in the parish of Stillingfleet, in the Ainsty, county of York, 7 miles S.W. of York., Tadcaster is the post town. It was formerly part of the possessions of Selby Abbey. It is pleasantly situated on the Ouse, near the junction of the Wharfe with that river. A college for a Provost and Fellows was founded here by Robert Stillington, one of the fellows being required to instruct children. Its revenue at the Dissolution was £33 10s. 4d. The living is a curacy in the diocese of York, value £40, in the patronage of Sir W. M. Milner, Bart."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013