Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: HAZELWOOD. Church dedication: SAINT LEONARD.
Barkstone Ash wapentake, U. D. -The Chapel of Hazelwood, which is now used as the private chapel of the Vavasour family *1, was formerly granted (with the Church of Tadcaster) to the house of Sallay, by the Lady Maud de Percy, Countess of Warwick, by the counsel of William le Vavasour.
There were two chantries founded in the Chapel of St. Leonard of Hazelwood, the one in 10 Kal. Mart. A.D. 1332, by Sir Henry le Vavasour, at the altar of St. Mary, out of the Church of Fryston, which he gave to be appropriated to the College of the Vicars of St. Peter of the Cathedral Church of York, which was of the patronage of the Succentor and Vicars of the same College, as were other two Chantries ordained also in the Cathedral Church. The other chantry was founded in the Chapel, at the altar of St. Nicholas, by W.Vavasour, which family were always patrons of it.
The following interments appear from Torre's MS. to have taken place in this Chapel :-Sir Henry Vavasour (1413), Lady Margaret Vavasour (1415), Henry Vavasour, Esq. (1447), Henry Vavasour, Esq. (1500), Henry Vavasour, Esq. (1515), William Vavasour, Esq. (1572).
Torre gives the monuments and inscriptions in this Chapel, being all of the Vavasour family.
Torre's MS. page 215.
*1 According to the rites of the Roman Catholic Church, by the permission, as it is said, of Queen Elizabeth.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.