THORP ARCH: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"THORP ARCH, a parish in the Ainsty, 3½ miles from Tadcaster, its post town, and 3 S.E. of Wetherby. It is a station on the Church Fenton and Harrogate branch of the North Midland railway. The village is situated in the vale of the river Wharfe, at the Arched Bridge. The river here forms several cascades. The soil is clay, with a subsoil of limestone. In the vicinity is the Boston mineral spa, discovered in 1744. The manufacture of the coarser kinds of paper is carried on, and there are two large flour-mills. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of York, value £356. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient structure, rebuilt in 1755, with the exception of the tower, and repaired in 1841. It has an E. window by Wailes, of Newcastle, and contains several monuments to the Hatfield family. The parochial charities produce about £44 per annum, of which £38 go to the free school. The Hall is the principal residence. William Hatfield, Esq., is lord of the manor."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013