The Ancient Parish of WALTON
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"WALTON, a parish, 2.5 miles E. of Wetherby. This village was long in the possession of the family of Fairfax, This village hath been long in the possession of the family of Fairfax; and anciently contained three carucates of land, held by the heirs of Roger de Brus, and divers others, who held the same of the Barons of Mowbray, but paid no certain rent. Peter de Brus granted to William Fairfax and his heirs, nine oxgangs, one acre, and three perches of land, with tofts and crofts in Walton, of the fee of Mowbray, by a deed without date. It is now the property of G. L. Fox, Esq. Bramham Park, who is lord of the manor.
Through this tract of ground runs the great Roman road called Watling street, from the south to the wall now called Redgate. It crossed the Wharf at a place called St. Helen's Ford, near Walton, where formerly stood a chapel, dedicated to St. Helen, the mother of Constantine. The parish church is a very ancient structure. Population 247."
- Transcript of the entry for Walton in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Walton.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835,, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1890 History and Directory of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Walton to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE443477 (Lat/Lon: 53.923549, -1.326912), Walton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.