Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: WALTON. Church dedication: ST. PETER. Church type: Perpetual Curacy.
Area, 1,670 acres. Ainsty wapentake. - Population, 237 *1; Church-room, 250; Net value, £75. -This Church was appropriated to the Chapel of Saint Mary, and the Holy Angels in York, but no Vicarage was ever ordained. In 1226, Walter Grey, Archbishop, confirmed an agreement between the Sacrist and the Convent of Monkton touching certain claims made by the latter. Torre gives the particulars, and also drawings of the monuments, Fairfaxes, Skinner, &c., but no catalogue of Incumbents.
23rd August 1369, composition between the Sacrist of St. Mary and the Holy Angels, and the Convent of Monkton, setting forth, that children and infants born at Walton, and the bodies of deceasants there, had anciently been baptized and buried in the parochial or mother Church of Thorparch, but that, considering the distance of the two places, and the difficulty of passing to the said Church with their children and dead corpses, it should be lawful for the Chaplain of the Chapel of Walton to baptize and bury. In consideration thereof, the Convent of Monkton agreed to pay to the Vicar of Thorparch an annual pension of 3s. 4d.
Mr. Drake gives the particulars of the appropriation.
Valued, in 1707, at £7. 13s. 4d. In the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 550, it is said to be " A parish Church, heretofore a Chapel to Thorpe Arch, now a Vicarage, the profits, consisting of small tithes, amounting to about £10 per annum. The great tithes are impropriate, belonging to Sir William Snawsdell. Mr. Robert Chambers is incumbent there, a man of evil life and conversation, who preacheth not above four times in a year, and he frequently useth the book of Common Prayer. We think fit that Thorparch be annexed to Walton, and made both in one parish, and Walton Church to be the parish Church, and the other Church to be demolished."
Augmented, in 1744, with £200, by lot ; in 1761, with £200, to meet a benefaction of £200 from the Rev. Christopher Atkinson ; in 1770, with £200, to meet a benefaction of £200 from the Rev. Christopher Atkinson ; and, in 1828, with £200, by lot.
Patrons and impropriators, C. A. Fischer, Esq., and another.
11th December 1769, an agreement was made between the Curate and the Impropriator respecting the tithe of hay and clover.
An inclosure took place under an Act passed 56th Geo. III.
There is a glebe fit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1619.
Anonymous Benefaction. -Interest of £20, given by some person unknown, and, at the time of the Report, placed out on promissory note, and the interest given to the poor about May-day. - Vide 10th Report, page 733.
Post town: Wetherby.
Torre's MS., page 343. Archbishop Sharp's MS., vol. 1 page 70. Drake's Eboracum, page 394. Mon., Ang. vol. iv. page 191.
*1 In 1834, the Population was returned at 230.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.