WALTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
"WALTON, a parish in the ainsty of the city, and East riding of the county of YORK, 2 miles S.E. from Wetherby, containing 247 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, endowed with £400 private benefaction, and £600 royal bounty, and in the patronageof the Impropriators. The church is dedicated to St. Peter.. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists., The old Roman Watling-street crosses the river Wharf at a place called St. Helens, and passes through the parish to that part of the wall now called Redgate."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]