WALTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1890.
Wapentake of the Ainsty of York - Rural Deanery of Ainsty - Archdeaconry of York of the West Riding - Diocese of York.
This parish lies east by north of Wetherby, and is crossed by the Roman road, Watling Street, which passes over the river at St. Helen's Ford. It has a measurement of 1,563 statute acres, rated at £2,085, and a population of 194. George Lane Fox, Esq., is lord of the manor and principal landowner; 21 acres of land belong to the poor of Newton Kyme. The village stands on a rising ground, two miles distant from Boston Spa. The soil is rich and fertile.
The church (St. Peter's), pleasantly situated in the highest part of the village, presents a venerable appearance, the walls being covered with ivy. It is supposed to have been built in the year 1350, and consists of nave, central aisle, tower, with three bells, and south porch. Considerable improvements are about to be effected at a cost of £1,300. It is proposed to re-roof the church, restore the east window, and to build, at the north side of the chancel, an organ chamber and vestry. On the north side of the chancel is a monument inscribed as follows:- "Here lyeth ye body of Nicholas Fairfax, nephew and heir of Charles, Lord Viscount Fairfax, of Gillein Castle, who departed this life February 26th, aged 44. Anno Christi 170 2/3. Who left by Mary, the only daughter of William Weld, Esq., of Lullworth Castle, in Dorsetshire, one son and one daughter. Requiescat in pace." Beneath this, and partly reclining on the slab of the more ancient one, is the effigy of a knight in full armour, with a hood, gorget, and tippet of chain or mail armour; he has a jupon, and over it an eriched belt for the sword. From the style of the armour, it appears to be the effigy of a person of distinction of the reign of Edward III. There are three stained windows in the south end, inserted by Richard Wilson Skilbeck, in memory of his father, Thomas Skilbeck, yeoman, Bilton. On the north wall is a neat marble monument in memory of Robert and Eliza Brogden. The living is a vicarage of the yearly value £112, now held by Rev. A. Hiley, M.A., and the patron is G. Lane Fox, Esq., Bramham.
The National school is a neat stone building, cruciform in shape, erected in 1847, to accommodate 80 scholars. At present there are only 16 names on the books. The village library of 1,000 volumes, issued free of cost to the inhabitants, is kept here. In the village is a Wesleyan chapel, built of brick. The school was built in 1861 for a Sabbath school, at a cost of £200. It was opened in 1870 as a day school. It has accommodation for 70 scholars. Number on books, 65. Average for last year, 51. On the east end of the school is a marble monument, in memory of two children - Timothy and Mary - son and daughter of the donor of the site.
The interest of a legacy of £20 is annually given to the poor.
[Description(s) from Bulmer's History and Directory of North Yorkshire (1890)]
- Transcript of the entry for the Post Office, professions and trades in Bulmer's Directory of 1890.
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.