WIGHILL: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
"WIGHILL, a parish in the ainsty of the city, and East riding of the county of YORK, 2 miles N.W. from Tadcaster, containing 250 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £5. 3. 6., endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of -Wilson, Esq. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is situated on an eminence rising from the margin of the river Wharfe."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]