[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"YORK, a city, borough, and town-corporate and an Archbishop's see. It contained, in 1823, 22 parishes."
Important notes on York, its parishes and the data on these pages
A lot of the information contained on this and other pages concerning the parishes in the city of York is extracted from what seems to me to have been a mountain of books, and edited to try to make sense. Even the parishes are not straightforward, some having detached parts outside (without) the city, but within the Ainsty. Others have detached parts outside the city and in one of the Ridings just to cause me (and you) more confusion. In this latter case, there is an appropriate parish entry in that Riding. So far as I can ascertain, the Minster (dedicated to St. Peter) had no parish associated with it.
Prior to 1547 there were several other churches in the city which at that date were deemed superfluous to requirements and were pulled down, their associated parish being united with a remaining parish. These are given in the appropriate parish pages.
I have included within the York pages a lot of history pages from several sources for further reading. If you are looking for people data, then there are lots of names included with the Directories of Trades and Professions. Hopefully I have managed to link all this data together so that it is easy to navigate, but please tell me about any link errors, or errors in the "facts".
The Parish churches are as follows:
- All-Saints , in Pavement
- All-Saints, North-Street
- St. Crux, in the Shambles
- St. Cuthbert, in Peasholme-Green
- St. Dennis, in Walmgate
- St. Olave, in Marygate
- St. Helen, in the Square
- St. John, in Micklegate
- St. Lawrence, without Walmgate
- St. Margaret, in Walmgate
- St. Martin-le-Grand, in Coneystreet
- St. Martin, in Micklegate
- St. Mary, in Bishophill-the-Elder (or Senior)
- St. Mary, in Bishophill-the-Younger (or Junior)
- St. Mary, in Castlegate
- St. Maurice, in Monkgate
- St. Michael-le-Belfrey, in Petergate and Minster-yard
- St. Michael, in Spurriergate
- St. Sampson, Patrick's-Pool
- St. Saviour, in St. Saviourgate
- Holy Trinity, otherwise Christ-Church, in King's Square
- Holy Trinity, in Micklegate
- Holy Trinity, in Goodramgate
As mentioned above, The Minster (St. Peter's) has no associated parish.