SALEM CHAPEL: Salem Chapel Congregational Church History up to 1868.
This chapel was erected and opened in the year 1839, when sermons were preached by Rev. Dr. Raffles, Rev. Dr. Harris, and Rev. James Griffin, then of Manchester. It is calculated to seat 1,600 persons, and was erected at an expense of £6,000.
The present pastor is the Rev. James Parsons, whose earnest and zealous labours, distributed during so many years over the whole country, and among almost all Christian denominations, render commendation superfluous. May he be long spared to the congregation and religious body he has so much adorned !
The assistant minister is Rev. T. HINDSLEY (Airedale Co1.1). He succeeded Rev. W. DEANS, who, on account of ill-health, removed for a time to Australia, but was lost at sea whilst on his return to England.
from the Appendix to
Congregationalism in Yorkshire
by James C. Miall, 1868.