Hide

YORK: York-Lendal Chapel Congregational Church History up to 1868.

hide
Hide
Hide

YORK-LENDAL CHAPEL.
(CONGREGATIONAL.)

The following is a list of the successive pastors :-
  • 1822. REV. JAMES PARSONS, second son of Rev. E. Parsons, Leeds (of Idle Acy.). He was ordained Oct. 24. The chapel, which seats 900 persons, was rapidly filled. It underwent subsequent internal enlargements, and the congregation continued in a state of great and increasing prosperity till the year 1837. An unsuccessful attempt was then made to enlarge Lendal Chapel, but as ground could not be secured, it was resolved to erect a new building, to which Mr. Parsons and his congregation removed in 1839.
  • Lendal Chapel was left as the starting-point of a new congregation. Eighty members constituted the church there, 360 removed with Mr. Parsons.
  • 1840. Rev. CHARLES PAYTON. Mr. P. died in Dec., 1844.
  • 1845. Rev. RICHARD SOPER, from Grantham. Mr. S. removed to Farringdon, Berks, in 1847.
  • 1853. Rev. STEPHEN S. N. DOBSONN, B.A. (of Airedale Coll.). Mr. D. left for Yarmouth, 1855.
  • 1856. Rev. THOS. RAFFLES HOSKIN. Now at St. Petersburg.
  • 1861. Rev. A. B. ATTENBOROUGH. Removed to Sevenoaks, 1863.
  • 1863. Rev. THOMAS MORGAN (Rotherham Coll.), who is the present minister (in 1868).

Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2014
from the Appendix to
Congregationalism in Yorkshire
by James C. Miall, 1868.