York St Mary Bishophill The Elder
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"YORK ST MARY BISHOPHILL THE ELDER, a parish in the city of York, a rectory, value +5L. 0s. 10d. p.r. *95L. 6s. 2d. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of York. --Pop. 681."
"DRINGHOUSES, in the parishes of Acomb, York St Mary Bishophill the Elder, and York Holy Trinity Micklegate, liberty of St. Peter's; 1.5 miles SSW. of York. A pleasant village, in which is a chapel of ease the property of A. S. Barlow, Esq. Pop. 156." - -(See Acomb for directory)
"MIDDLETHORPE, in the parish of York St Mary Bishophill the elder; (the seat of Andrew Barlow, Esq.) 2 miles S. of York. Pop. 44."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Here are photographs of Churches in the parish:
- St. Clement's Church, York. (With short history).
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of York St Mary Bishophill the Elder.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from York St Mary Bishophill The Elder to another place.
- A few years before 1890, the chapelry of Dringhouses (a part in this parish) was constituted a parish in its own right. See Dringhouses parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE601514 (Lat/Lon: 53.955211, -1.085622), York St Mary Bishophill The Elder which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society: