YORK ST MARY BISHOPHILL THE ELDER: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"YORK ST MARY BISHOPHILL THE ELDER, a parish in the city of York."
"DRINGHOUSES, a township in the parishes of York Holy Trinity Micklegate, York St Mary Bishophill the Elder, and Acomb, York Ainsty, in the county of York, 1 mile S.E. of York. It is situated on the York and Tadcaster road. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in brick and tile making. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York, value £100, in the patronage of Dr. Wilkinson, who is lord of the manor. The church is dedicated to Edward the Confessor. The Wesleyans have a chapel, and there is a National school for both sexes. It is a meet for the York Ainsty hounds."
"MIDDLETHORPE, a township in the parish of York St Mary Bishophill the elder, Ainsty, county York, 2 miles S. of York. It is situated on the river Ouse, and contains Middlethorpe Hall. The village, which is small, is united to the North Riding for electoral purposes."
"UPPER POPPLETON, (or Over Poppleton), a chapelry in the parishes of Nether Poppleton, and York St Mary Bishophill the Elder, York Ainsty, 4 miles N.W. of York, its post town. It is a station on the York and Harrogate section of the North-Eastern railway. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the York and Boroughbridge turnpike road, and is wholly agricultural. The tithes were commuted for land under an Enclosure Act in 1769. The living is a perpetual curacy annexed to that of Copmanthorpe, in the diocese of York. The church is an ancient structure with a turret containing one bell. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. A. Montague, Esq., is lord of the manor and principal landowner."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013