York St Mary Bishophill The Younger
The Ancient Parish of YORK ST MARY BISHOPHILL THE YOUNGER
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"YORK ST MARY BISHOPHILL THE YOUNGER, a parish in the city of York, in Bishophill-the-Younger, is a vicarage, peculiar, value +10L. p.r. !146L. 4s. 5d. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of York. --Pop. 767.
Copmanthorpe and Upper Poppleton are detached portions of this parish (see below)"
"COPMANTHORPE, in the parish of York St Mary Bishophill the younger, York, and a part in the liberty of St. Peter's; 4 miles SSW. of York. Here is a chapel of ease, and a neat Methodist chapel, also, a small school, endowed with £4 per annum for the teaching of eight poor children. Pop. 281."
"UPPER POPPLETON, in the parishes of Nether Poppleton and York St Mary Bishophill the Younger, in the liberty of St. Peter's, 4 miles NW. of York. The lands here were formerly in the possession of the Abbot of St. Mary's, at York; given by Osbern de Arches, to that abbey, almost at its first institution. Sir Thomas Weddrington writes, that there was a Mayor of York killed at Poppleton, in the reign of king Richard II. as he conjectures, in some controversy betwixt the monks and the citizens. Here is a small chapel of ease, which has the privilege of christenings and burials, but not marriages, and a Methodist chapel. This village is pleasantly situated within one mile of the river Ouse. Population 346."
- Here are photographs of Churches in the parish:
- The Church of St. Mary Bishophill the Younger, York (view 1). (With short history). (The Church's website is here.)
- The Church of St. Mary Bishophill the Younger, York (view 2).
- St. Giles' Church, Copmanthorpe. (With short history). (The Church's website is here.)
- St. Giles' Church, Copmanthorpe from a postcard from the early 1900s, the old vicarage is still the same but the green has a war memorial and two trees on it.
- The Methodist Church, Copmanthorpe. (With short history). (The Church's website is here.)
- St. Paul's Church, York. (With short history).
- St Chad's Church, Nunthorpe. (With short history).
- The Roman Catholic Church of the English Martyrs, York. (With short history). (The Church's website is here.)
- Copmanthorpe - the Parish Council Website.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from York St Mary Bishophill The Younger to another place.
- By an Order in Council, the district embracing the township of Copmanthorpe, formerly a chapelry in this parish, was constituted a separate parish in 1866. See Copmanthorpe parish.
- In 1866, Nether Poppleton (wholly in this parish) and Upper Poppleton (a part in this parish) were united for ecclesiastical purposes and became separate and distinct parish. See Nether Poppleton with Upper Poppleton parish.
- Here are photographs of Copmanthorpe about 100 years ago:
- A house on the green, Copmanthorpe, now demolished - now the site of the newly built Co-op shop.
- Copmanthorpe Main Street, Copmanthorpe, (with old post office, the white building) the farm in the distance has gone and is now shops. All the rest of the buildings are still the same.
- Copmanthorpe green, Copmanthorpe. There is a bungalow on the green now. The middle building has been demolished and is now the newly built Co-op shop. The building on the right is still there.
- The Royal Oak Inn, Copmanthorpe. The Royal Oak is still there on Main Street but some buildings have been demolished to make pub garden. Lower down is the Co-op shop.
- The road to Low Green, Copmanthorpe. House on left still there (opposite the Co-op) and the facing farmhouse still there.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE599514 (Lat/Lon: 53.955234, -1.08867), York St Mary Bishophill The Younger which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient) parish, but I have no further information on them other than the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
- (SE599499) Nunthorpe
- (SE597503) South Bank
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.