Hide

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

hide
Hide
Hide

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: COPMANTHORPE.     Church dedication: CHAPEL.

Area, 1,610 acres. Ainsty. -Population, 293 ; Chapel-room, sufficient. -This is an unaugmented Chapel of Ease, and is not noticed either by Bacon or Ecton.

Divine Service is only celebrated once a month.

Marriages take place at the mother Church, but funerals sometimes take place at Copmanthorpe.

1st February 1750, a faculty was granted by the Dean and Chapter to inclose the chapel-yard, and make use of the same for the interment of the bodies of the dead in all future times, " upon payment of 2s. 6d. to the minister for every burial, and providing a horse for him to go to the Chapel, as often as he shall be thereunto desired."

There was a decree in the Exchequer, in Hilary Term, 42d Elizabeth, relative to the tithes, but which is unreported.

Charities:
Thomas Norfolk's charity, by will, dated 15th August 1775. Interest of £100 in bread, to the poor attending Divine Service in the Chapel. Since invested in the purchase of a close of land at Askham Richard, containing 3a. 1r. 14p.

The sum of £4 was paid annually by the late Robert Driffield, Esq. of the Mount, York, towards the education of poor children; but it does not appear when or by whom the charity was originally given. The payment has been continued by Mr. Driffield's family. -Vid. 13th Report, page 611.

The Register Book commences in 1759. Earlier registers are entered with Bishophill Junior.

Post town: York.


References:
Torres MS. page 697. Drake's Eboracum, page 389. Nonae Roll, page 229.


Notes:
*1 Anciently called Temple Coppenthorpe.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.