Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: UPPER POPPLETON. Church dedication: CHAPEL.
Area, 1,340 acres. Ainsty. - Population, 319 ; Chapel-room, sufficient. -This is an unaugmented Chapel of Ease to Saint Mary Bishophill the Younger. Ecton and Bacon both appear to confound the two Poppletons, as they say-" Poppleton, Superior, Vicarage (All Saints), Abbey of York ; prop., Dean and Chapter of York. Poppleton, Inferior Curacy -Archbishop of York, improp. and patron ; £23 certified value."
An Inclosure Act was passed 9th Geo. III. (Scagglethorpe Moor.)
18th May 1798, faculty to enclose the chapel-yard, and make use of the same for the interment of the bodies of the dead in all future times, upon payment of two shillings and sixpence to the minister for every burial, and providing a horse for him to go to the Chapel as often as he shall be thereunto desired.
Divine service is only celebrated once a month.
There is no return as to the Register Book.
Torre's MS., page 697. Drake's Eboracum, page 397.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.