YORK ST MARY BISHOPHILL THE YOUNGER: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"YORK ST MARY BISHOPHILL THE YOUNGER, a parish in the city of York."
"COPMANTHORPE, a chapelry in the parish of York St Mary Bishophill the Younger, Ainsty, in the county of York, 4 miles S.W. of York. It is a station of the Great Northern and North-Eastern railways. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York, value with the perpetual curacy of Upper Poppleton annexed, £96, in the patronage of the Vicar of St. Mary."
"HOLDGATE, (or Holgate), a township in the parish of York St Mary Bishophill the Younger, Ainsty of York, 1 mile S.W. of York. The village is small. Lindley Murray, the grammarian, who was a native of Pennsylvania, in North America, died here in 1826, at the age of 81 years."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013