[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"ACASTER MALBIS, a parish, situated on the Ouse; 4 miles S. of York. Here is a good School House, endowed with the products of some lands, under the patronage of certain trustees, who have the appointment of fourteen poor children, as proper objects to receive instruction free of cost. Mr. George Cowper, is the master, and Messrs. William Cundell, John Kettlewell, and John Oates, feoffees. The church is an ancient structure (see Churches for photograph), of which the Rev. Thomas Barker, is perpetual curate. The town derives its name from the family of the Malby's, which flourished here for some centuries after the conquest. Population, 291."
"NABURN, in the parishes of Acaster Malbis and York Saint Dennis, (both in the Ainsty), wapentake of Ouse and Derwent; (the seat of George Palmes, Esq.)4 miles S. of York. Here is a Chapel of Ease of the Established church, and likewise a Methodist chapel. The town is situate near to the bank of the river Ouse. There is here also an endowed school of £10. per annum, for ten boys; £5. of which was left by Lady Hewley, and £5. by Mr. Edward Loftus. Population, 366."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Acaster Malbis to another place.
- In 1842 the chapelry of Naburn in this parish was constituted a parish in its own right (remaining in the East Riding). See Naburn Parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE587453 (Lat/Lon: 53.900552, -1.108123), Acaster Malbis which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish