ACKLAM: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1892.
Wapentake and Petty Sessional Division of Buckrose - County Council Electoral Division of Leavening - Poor Law Union and County Court District of Malton - -Rural Deanery of Pocklington - Archdeaconry of the East Riding - Diocese of York.
This parish, called also East Acklam, comprises the townships of Acklam-with-Barthorpe and Leavening, containing, in all, 3,649 acres. It lies along the foot and margin of the Wolds, and the surface partakes of the character of the Wold district, being broken by numerous bold undulations. Patches of woodland here and there beautify the landscape, and, in some places, the scenery is highly picturesque. From the Wolds here may be obtained one of the most extensive and beautiful views in the East Riding. Extending from Acklam eastward may. be traced, for a considerable distance over the Wolds, a line of ancient earthworks. It consists of a vallum and two ditches, and is generally supposed to have been the work of the ancient Britons. There are numerous tumuli in the district, several of which were excavated in 1849, by the members of the Yorkshire Antiquarian Club, and yielded a rich harvest of human remains, urns, and personal ornaments.
The township of Acklam-with-Barthorpe contains 2,358 acres of land, belonging to several owners, the principal of whom are Lady Mary G. Vyner, Richard Lyon, Esq., Sir Charles Strickland, Bart., J. J. Smith, Esq., Mr. Lowish, the Crown, and Pocklington Grammar School. The soil is clay and wold land; subsoil various. The rateable value is £2,475, and the population in 1891 was 282. The manor belongs to the Crown.
The village of Acklam is situated in a narrow valley of the Wolds, seven miles south from Malton, and six mile from the stations of Wharram and Kirkham Abbey, on the York and Scarborough branch of the North-Eastern railway. The houses are built of a hard white stone obtained from a quarry in the neighbourhood. Running through the village is a good stream of water, which issues from the rock near the church. This edifice, which is dedicated to St. John the Baptist, was rebuilt in 1867, at a cost of about £1,300, raised by subscription. It is in the Early English style, and consists of chancel, nave, south porch, and western tower, containing three bells. The windows are all of plain glass, with coloured borders. The wall beneath the east window is faced with coloured glazed tiles, disposed in pattern. There are two marble tablets on the walls of the chancel, one in memory of Nicholas Butterfield, who died in 1786; and the other in remembrance of the Rev. Thomas Briarly Browne, MA., T.C.D., who was, for 25 years, rector of East Acklam, and died in 1889. The nave and chancel are furnished with seats of pitchpine, for the accommodation of 173 persons. The register dates from the year 1716. The living, formerly a discharged vicarage, is a rectory, in the gift of the Archbishop of York, and held by the Rev. Wilfrid Robinson, B.A., St. Catherine's College, Cambridge. It is valued in the Liber Regis at £5 per annum, and is now worth about £290, including 53 acres of glebe. The tithe rent-charge is £134.
The Rectory House is a commodious residence of stone, erected by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners in 1866. It stands upon an elevated site, and commands extensive views of the surrounding country.
There are chapels in the village belonging to the Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, dating respectively from 1794 and 1821.
The National School is a small stone building, erected in 1852, for 60 children. It is mixed, under the charge of a mistress, and attended, on an average, by 41 children. It is endowed with an acre of land, purchased with £25 left by Frs. Barker; and Lady Mary Vyner contributes £20 a year towards its support.
The poor of the township have a rent-charge of £2 a year, left by John Smithson in 1681; and the interest of £5 left by William Hudson in 1759.
BARTHORPE is a joint township with Acklam, from which place it is distant one mile south. The estate, containing 975 acres of land, forms a distinct manor, belonging to Lady Mary Vyner, who is also sole owner of the land.
LEAVENING township contains 1,241 acres of land, and 339 inhabitants. The rateable value is £1,591. The soil is a red sand, and the subsoil clay. Lord Middleton, who is lord of the manor; Col. Duncombe, Kilnwick Percy; William Preston, Esq., J.P., Burythorpe; and Mr. George Garbutt, Leavening, are the principal landowners. There are many small freeholders. The village, which is large and well built, stands at the western foot of the Wolds, six miles south from Malton, and one mile from Acklam. The road between the two places passes over three excessively steep hills, which render the journey toilsome to a pedestrian, and not particularly safe for vehicles. The National School is a neat Gothic building, erected in 1850, for the accommodation of 76 children. It is also used as a chapel-of-ease to Acklam church. The Primitive Methodists and the Wesleyans have each a chapel in the village. That belonging to the former body is a neat building of stone, erected in 1821, and restored and re-furnished about ten years ago, at a cost of £100. The Wesleyan chapel was built in 1824, and has accommodation for 150.
Tradition has preserved the memory of an old hall that stood a little west of the village, at the junction of the roads from Acklam and Leppington; the foundations of some of the walls may still be traced.
[Description(s) from Bulmer's History and Directory of East Yorkshire (1892)]
- Transcript of the entry for the Post Office, professions and trades in Bulmer's Directory of 1892.
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.