The Ancient Parish of ALDBROUGH
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"ALDBROUGH, a parish in the wapentake and liberty of Holderness; 8 miles NE. of Hedon. A flourishing and very lively village pleasantly situated on the declivity of a small eminence, and consists of some elegant and well built houses. The church (see Churches for photograph) dedicated to St. Bartholomew, is a large Gothic structure, of which the King is patron, and the Rev. Nicholas Holmes the Vicar." (There is further information for Aldbrough).
Information on the following places in this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.
- Transcript of the entry for Aldbrough in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Aldbrough.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the East Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the The Post Office Directory of the, East and North Ridings, 1857
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1892. of the East Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1892 History and Directory of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Aldbrough to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TA244386 (Lat/Lon: 53.828782, -0.111381), Aldbrough which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient) parish, but I have no further information on them other than the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
- (TA233394) Bewick Hall
- (TA230387) Westhill
- (TA228390) East Carlton
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish