The Ancient Parish of ATWICK
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"ATWICK, a parish in the wapentake and liberty of Holderness; 2 miles N. of Hornsea. A small, though pleasant village situated near the sea, from which it suffers greatly by the encroachments of the water, particularly in stormy weather, the greatest part of this village stands at the junction of three roads, in the centre of which stands an old stone cross, which in the year 1786, was situated at the distance of thirty three chains and sixty three links from the sea, from the rudeness of the structure it appears to be of great antiquity, there is round its base a latin inscription, but rendered unintelligible by the dilapidations of time. The church, of which the King is patron, is a plain Gothic structure, dedicated to St. Lawrence (see Churches for photograph). The Rev. James Wilson, is the vicar and surrogate, for the dean and chapter; here is also a Methodist chapel, built in 1821; likewise a Public school, endowed with about £30. per annum, paid out of the several charities of this place. Edward Fenwick, in the year 1689, left by deed one Oxgang of land, situated in Bedford, the annual rent of which is to be applied to apprenticing poor boys and girls of Atwick, at the discretion of the trustees, of which the minister for the time being is one. Population, 326."
"ARRAM HALL, a farm house in the township and parish of Atwick; 1½ miles WSW. of Atwick, 3 miles from Hornsea."
"ERGHAM, in the parish of Atwick, wapentake and liberty of Holderness; 3 miles NW. of Hornsea."
"SKIRLINGTON HILL, (now High Skirlington) a farm house in the parish of Atwick, wapentake and liberty of Holderness; 1¼ miles NNW. of Atwick, 4 miles NNW. of Hornsea."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Photographs of over 170 gravestones in Atwick Churchyard with a surname index.
- Transcript of the entry for Atwick in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Atwick.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the East Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the The Post Office Directory of the, East and North Ridings, 1857
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1892. of the East Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the Pigot's 1834 Directory, Yorkshire section.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1892 History and Directory of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Atwick to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TA190509 (Lat/Lon: 53.94054, -0.18861), Atwick which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The Roll of Honour in St. Lawrence's Church, Atwick.
- The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient) parish, but I have no further information on them other than the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
- (TA182527) High Skirlington
- (TA186526) Low Skirlington
- A transcription of the School Timetables, around 1902-3 in Adobe pdf format.
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish