[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"ATWICK, a parish in the wapentake and liberty of Holderness; 2 miles N. of Hornsea. A small, though pleasant village situated near the sea, from which it suffers greatly by the encroachments of the water, particularly in stormy weather, the greatest part of this village stands at the junction of three roads, in the centre of which stands an old stone cross, which in the year 1786, was situated at the distance of thirty three chains and sixty three links from the sea, from the rudeness of the structure it appears to be of great antiquity, there is round its base a latin inscription, but rendered unintelligible by the dilapidations of time. The church, of which the King is patron, is a plain Gothic structure, dedicated to St. Lawrence (see Churches
for photograph). The Rev. James Wilson, is the vicar and surrogate, for the dean and chapter; here is also a Methodist chapel, built in 1821; likewise a Public school, endowed with about £30. per annum, paid out of the several charities of this place. Edward Fenwick, in the year 1689, left by deed one Oxgang of land, situated in Bedford, the annual rent of which is to be applied to apprenticing poor boys and girls of Atwick, at the discretion of the trustees, of which the minister for the time being is one. Population, 326."
"ARRAM HALL, a farm house in the township and parish of Atwick; 1½ miles WSW. of Atwick, 3 miles from Hornsea."
"ERGHAM, in the parish of Atwick, wapentake and liberty of Holderness; 3 miles NW. of Hornsea."
"SKIRLINGTON HILL, (now High Skirlington) a farm house in the parish of Atwick, wapentake and liberty of Holderness; 1¼ miles NNW. of Atwick, 4 miles NNW. of Hornsea."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]