Hide

Atwick, Yorkshire, England. Geographical and Historical information from 1835.

hide
Hide
Hide
Hide

ATWICK:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

"ATWICK, a parish in the northern division of the wapentake of HOLDERNESS, East riding of the county of YORK, 2 miles N.N.W. from Hornsea, containing, with the township of Atwick with Arram, and Skirlington, 326 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of the East riding, and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £4. 7'. 11., and in the patronage of the Crown. The church is dedicated to St. Lawrence. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. The village is small, but pleasantly situated near the sea, from the. encroachments of which, however, it has occasionally sustained considerable damage: in the centre stands a rude stone cross of great antiquity, with a Latin inscription upon its base, now nearly defaced. A school for the education of seventeen boys is endowed with £20 per annum, arising from a bequest of land by Edward Fenwick, in 1689; and another, for five girls, has an endowment of £18. 18., arising from land bequeathed by Ralph Burton, in 1726."


"ARRAM, a township, joint with Atwick and Skirlington, in the parish of ATWICK, northern division of the wapentake of HOLDERNESS, East riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles N.E from Beverley. The population is returned with Atwick."


"SKIRLINGTON, a township in the parish of ATWICK, northern division of the wapentake of HOLDERNESS, East riding of the county of YORK, 13 miles E.S.E. from Great Driffield. The population is re? turned with the parish."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]