[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"AUGHTON, a parish in the wapentake of Harthill; 8 miles NNW. of Howden. A parochial village and vicarage, the present incumbent of which is the Rev. W. Dean, and ---- Mosley the patron. This village was the residence of Robert Aske, who in the year 1536, headed the insurrection called the " Pilgrimage of Grace." Aske is represented in history as a man of daring and enthusiastic courage, a gentleman by birth, and of considerable talents. In the latter part of the reign of Charles I. Sir Richard Aske, was master of the crown office, and one of the council of the regicides. -- He appears to have been the last of the family that resided at Aughton. There are no remains of the ancient mansion or castle; but the site is marked by ditches or moats one within another, with the interior vallum raised to a great height, which shows it to have been a place of considerable strength. It is situated near the eastern banks of the Derwent. Population, 259."
"AUGHTON RUDDINGS, 2 farm houses in the parish of Aughton, and wapentake of Harthill; 1¾ miles ENE. of Aughton, 8 miles N. of Howden."
"EAST COTTINGWITH, in the parish of Aughton, and wapentake of Harthill; 2¼ miles N. of Aughton, 9 miles NE. of Selby. Here is a Chapel of Ease, of which the Rev. John Fox, is incumbent; likewise a Friends Meeting-house and Methodist chapel. Pop. 308."
"LAYTHAM, in the parish of Aughton, and wapentake of Harthill; 2¾ miles ENE. of Aughton, 9 miles N. of Howden. Pop. 125."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Here are photographs of Churches in the parish:
- All Saints' Church, Aughton, best view available due to trees.
- All Saints' Church at Aughton, view 2.
- Pauline Hinson picking plums in the Churchyard, Aughton.
- St. Mary's Church, East Cottingwith. (The Church's website is here.)
- The former Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, East Cottingwith.
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Aughton.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the East Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the The Post Office Directory of the, East and North Ridings, 1857
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1892. of the East Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1892 History and Directory of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Aughton to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE705387 (Lat/Lon: 53.839775, -0.930084), Aughton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- A transcription of the School Timetables, around 1902-3 in Adobe pdf format.
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish