AUGHTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
"AUGHTON, a parish in the Holme-Beacon division of the wapentake of HARTHILL, East riding of the county of YORK, comprising the chapelry of East Cottingwith, and the townships of Aughton and Laytham, and containing 702 inhabitants, of which number, 269 are in the township of Aughton, 8 miles N.N.W. from Howden. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of the East riding, and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £4, endowed with £10 per annum private benefaction, and £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of T. Mosley, Esq. The church is dedicated to All Souls. A castle anciently stood on the east bank of the river Derwent, of which only the moats and trenches can now be traced. This was the residence of Robert Aske, who was executed in the reign of Henry VIII., as a principal in the insurrection called the " Pilgrimage of Grace," occasioned by the suppression of the monasteries."
"EAST COTTINGWITH, a chapelry in the parish of AUGHTON, Holme-Beacon division of the wapentake of HARTHILL, East riding of the county of YORK, 8 miles W.S.W. from Pocklington, containing 308 inhabitants. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. A trifling bequest has been made for the instruction of children."
"LAYTHAM, a township in the parish of AUGHTON, Holme-Beacon division of the wapentake of HARTHILL, East riding of the county of YORK, 8 miles N. from Howden, containing 125 inhabitants."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]