AUGHTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"AUGHTON, a parish in the wapentake of Harthill, in the East Riding of the county of York, 7 miles to the N.W. of Howden. York is its post town. It is situated on the river Derwent, and comprises the chapelry of East Cottingwith, and the townships of Aughton and Laytham. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of York, of the value, with the perpetual curacy of Cottingwith, of £96, in the patronage of A. J. Fletcher, Esq. The church is dedicated to All Souls. There is a school with a small endowment, and other charities, of the yearly value of £44. Aughton was the residence of Sir Robert Aske, who distinguished himself in the reign of Henry VIII. as the leader in the insurrection called the "pilgrimage of grace," and suffered death for it. The mansion itself has disappeared, but several moats and trenches near the river point out its site."
"EAST COTTINGWITH, a township and chapelry in the parish of Aughton, wapentake of Harthill, in the East Riding of the county of York, 8 miles S.E. of York. It is situated on the river Derwent, and near the Pocklington canal. The living is a curacy, value £90, annexed to the vicarage of Aughton. The charities produce about £30. There is a parochial school with a small endowment."
"LAYTHAM, (or Latham), a township in the parish of Aughton, Holme-Beacon division of the wapentake of Harthill, East Riding county York, 8 miles N. of Howden. The village, which is inconsiderable, is wholly agricultural. The soil is loam and clay."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013