Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: AUGHTON. Church dedication: ALL SOULS. Church type: Discharged Vicarage.
Area, 4,200 acres. Harthill wapentake, Holme Beacon. -Population, 665 *1; Church-room, 200 *2; Net value, £90.
In the town of Aughton are five and a half carucates of land (where twenty-four made a knight's fee), held by German del Hoy, of the Lords Mauley.
Nigel held land at Aughton of Earl Morton, formerly belonging to Ernui. Other lands held by Richard, formerly belonging to Lepsi, Grim, and Lefchil. William de Warrene had one sokeman and three bordars. Nigel also held a manor in Cottingwith, formerly Cnuds' ; Ralph Paganel held ten oxgangs of waste ; and Emeis de Barun held one carucate, also waste, formerly Grim's.
This Church was given by the Del Hays to the Priory of Ellerton, who for some time served the Cure by one of their own Canons, to which it was appropriated, and a Vicarage was ordained therein, 4th Kal. September 1231, but the endowment was for the life of the then Vicar only. In Archbishop Sharp's time the patronage was in Lord Castleton. In 1753, Lord Scarborough presented. In 1763, Thomas Moseley, of Wigginton, presented; and, in 1786, William Deans was collated by the Archbishop, by reason of lapse.
The first date given in Torre's catalogue of Vicars is in 1484.
Patron, T. Mosley, Esq.
The Church is valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation at £40; in the King's books the Vicarage is valued at £4; in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. p. 366, it is stated : " £30 impropriation ; £13.6s. 8d. the minister ;" and, in 1818, at £85. 18s. 3d. per annum.
Augmented in 1722 with £200 to meet benefaction of a rent charge of £5 and lands worth £5 per annum from the Earl of Castleton.
The glebe house is unfit for residence. Vide return in 1834. In 1818, returned fit for residence.
The Register books commence in 1611.
Aughton was the residence of Robert Aske, gent., who headed the insurrection called the Pilgrimage of Grace, in the reign of Henry VIII. Some curious papers relative to this insurrection are said to be extant in the Chapter House, Westminster.
The Allerthorpe dole. rent charge of 13s. 4d. Distributed by the overseers among poor widows of Aughton.
Church land. 24a. The rent whereof, at the time of the Report, was used for repairing the Church.
TOWNSHIP OF LAYTHAM, vide Pocklington. The sum of 1s. 8d. is received by the overseers, and distributed about Candlemas to poor widows.
The Commissioners mention a sum of £5 as stated in the returns of 1786, but could not ascertain the donor. -Vide 10th Report, page 654, and 11th Report, page 722.
Post town: York.
Torre's MS. page 1217. Abp. Sharp's MS. vol. ii. page 19. Bawdwen's Domesday Book, (Actun, Hactone,) pages 77. 79. 89, 90. 159, 160. 237; (Coteuuid,) 77. 187. 208 ; (Ladone,) 77. 192. Burton's Monast. pages 259. 380, where the substance of the endowment is given. Mon. Angl. vol. vi. page 918. Gentleman's Mag. August 1754, page 358, as to the family of Aske.
*1 Viz. Aughton, 217; East Cottingwith, 310; and Laytham, 138. A decrease of 52 since 1821, in consequence of emigration.
*2 In 1818, the Church-room was returned at 400.
LATHAM. -A town in the parish of Aughton, wherein the Lord Mowbray held one carucate of land, whereof the Prior of Ellerton held five oxgangs in demesne.
And John de Bowelton held another carucate of the heirs of Mowbray, and paid 6d. per annum.
Also the Lords Mauley held therein three carucates, whereof the Prior of Ellerton held six oxgangs of German Hoy, who held them of Manley.
And Remigius de Pokelington held one and a half carucate and half an oxgang, and Roger de Lynton half a carucate, and Richard, son of Adam, two oxgangs, of the said Prior; and Robert de Fenton one oxgang, -all of the fee of Mauley.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.