Hide

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

hide
Hide
Hide

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: EAST COTTINGWITH.     Church dedication: CHAPEL.

Harthill wapentake. Holme Beacon. -Population, 138, vide Aughton; Chapel-room, 150; Net value, vide Aughton.

The lordship, &c. belonged to Saint Mary's Abbey.

Archbishop Sharp thought this Chapel rather belongs to Ellerton than to Aughton.

Patron, the Lord Chancellor.

Valued in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 371, at £7 per annum, and recommended to be united to Aughton.

15th April, A.D. 1343, licence was granted to the inhabitants of East Cottingworth, to have divine service celebrated by a fit chaplain, till such time as the Chapel (then fallen down) should be rebuilt.

Inclosure Acts were passed 13th and 31st Geo. III.

There was no glebe house in 1818. -No return in 1834.

24th April 1784, faculty to rebuild the Chapel on a larger scale.

Register Books, vide Aughton.

Charities:
The town's land, 18a. Let at the time of the Report for £28. 14s. per annum, which sum is added to the poor's rates, after paying to the schoolmaster, for teaching four poor children to read, £3. 10s. The Commissioners reported that there were no deeds or writings respecting this property.

Doles. -Ellis Bradley's, by will, about 1719. rent charge of 10s. to the poor, at Lady day and Michaelmas.

Unknown. rent charge of 10s. per annum to the poor. -Vide 10th Report, page 654.

Post town: York.


References:
Torre's MS., page 1224. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. ii. page 21. Mon. Angl. vol. iii. page 572. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Coteuuid), pages 77. 187. 208.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.