[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"BAINTON, a parish in the wapentake of Harthill, and liberty of Holderness; 6 miles SW. of Great Driffield. Here is an ancient parish church, dedicated to St. Andrew (see Churches for photograph). - The living is a rectory, of the value of 1000L per annum. in the patronage of St. John's College, Oxford, and when vacant is bestowed on the oldest B. D. of the college. The present incumbent is the Rev. John Bell, D. D. There are two chapels here, one belonging to the Wesleyan and the other to the Primitive Methodist. In former times a Beacon was erected near this village, for the purpose of alarming the surrounding country on the approach of danger, and this circumstance has given name to that division of Harthill called Bainton Beacon. Population, 300.
In the 2nd of Edward II. Peter de Mauley was found to be seized of the manor of Bainton, and the advowson of the church by the service of finding two Knights and four Esquires, in the King's army for forty days, in time of war, and to provide a steward to do suit for him at the King's Court at York, from six weeks to six weeks. --Blount's Ancient Tenures. In the church is a monument of Peter de Mauley, a Knight Templar, temp. Henry III. The Vicar has 602 acres of land, nearly a sixth of the parish, in lieu of tithes and money payments of every description, except surplice fees and mortuaries. William le Gross, a Knight of Malta, and Earl of Albemarle, was buried in this church."
- Transcript of the entry for Bainton in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Bainton.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the East Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the The Post Office Directory of the, East and North Ridings, 1857
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1892. of the East Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Stephen Whatley's Gazetteer 1750, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1892 History and Directory of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Bainton to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE964524 (Lat/Lon: 53.958714, -0.532292), Bainton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish