BAINTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1750.
"BAINTON, (given as Baynton) a parish in the E.R. of Yorkshire, 8 m. S. W. of Fordlingham, in the road from Beverley to Kilham, in that mountainous tract, called Yorkswold, had formerly a chantry, and was the Lp. of Peter de Mauley, in the R. of Hen. III. and from his family it passed, in the R. of Edw. III. to John de Grey of Rotherfield; from whose posterity it passed, either by marriage, or purchase, to other families; of which we have no farther account, than that the rectory is 200 l. a year, in the gift of St. John's-college, Oxford."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Stephen Whatley's England's Gazetteer, 1750]