BAINTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"BAINTON, a parish in the wapentake of Harthill, East Riding of the county of York, 5 miles to the S.W. of Great Driffield, its post town. It is situated on elevated ground, nearly in the centre of the Riding. A beacon having been formerly erected here, the division of the wapentake has received the name of Bainton Beacon division. Petty sessions are held here for the division. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of York, of the value of £757, in the patronage of the President and Fellows of St. John's College, Oxford. The church, which is ancient, is dedicated to St. Andrew, and has a monument with an effigy of Peter de Mauley, a baron who distinguished himself in the battle with the Scots, in 1346, in which King David was made prisoner."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013