BAINTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1892.
Wapentake of Harthill - Petty Sessional Division of Bainton Beacon - County Council Electoral Division of Bainton - Poor Law Union and County Court District of Driffield - Rural Deanery Harthill - Archdeaconry of the East Riding - Diocese of York.
This parish includes the township of its own name and that of Neswick, containing a total area of 3,968 acres. It is situated on the eastern declivities of the Wolds, the surface in some places rising to a considerable height. On an eminence a little north-west of the village was formerly a beacon, from which this division of Harthill wapentake has taken its name. The township of Bainton Beacon comprises an area of 2,980 acres; its rateable value is £3,490, and population 365. The soil is various, and the subsoil chiefly chalk. The principal landowners are John Grimston, Esq., who is lord of the manor; the Rector, in right of the glebe; the Misses Topham, Driffield; W. Topham, Esq., Kirkburn; and Bielby Topham, Bainton.
The manor, with the advowson of the rectory, anciently belonged to the Malolacu or Mauley family, which was seated here for upwards of two centuries. Stephen de Manley and John de Manley were rectors in succession; the former was instituted in 1271, and the latter in 1317. The advowson passed from the Mauleys to the Salvins; and in 1611, it was bequeathed by Sir William Gee, of Bishop Burton, to the Master and Fellows of St. John's College, Oxford, who are still the patrons.
The village is situated about six miles south-west of Driffield, 10 north-west of Beverley, and close to the new railway from Driffield to Market Weighton, which was opened for traffic in May, 1890. It occupies an elevated but pleasant position on the eastern side of the Wolds, and is well supplied with water by several excellent springs. The base stone of an ancient cross remains, but there is no record of a market being held. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is a handsome Gothic edifice dating from about A.D. 1250. It comprises chancel, nave, aisles, north and south porches, and a square western tower, finished with a battlement and pinnacles. Allen in his History of Yorkshire, published in 1828, says, "A considerable portion of an octagonal spire of stone, which fell down about the middle of the last century, exists, and has a curious appearance." The chancel was restored in 1841, and in 1869, the upper portion of the north, south and west walls, and the tower were pulled down and rebuilt. There are two bells dated 1611 and 1665, and a clock in the tower. The nave is divided from the aisles on each side by four pointed arches resting on lofty octagonal columns. At the east end of the south aisle was the altar of the Blessed Virgin Mary. There was a chantry here, which was probably founded by one of the Mauleys. The piscina remains, and the chancel still retains the ancient aumbry and sedilia. There are memorial windows and tablets to members of the Grimston family, formerly of Neswick. But the most interesting monument is that of Peter de Malolacu or Manley, Knight, ancestor of the Barons Manley, who held extensive lands in Yorkshire. This Peter de Manley married Isabel, daughter of Robert de Turnham, a minor and a ward of Henry III., to whom he paid 7,000 marks for the marriage, and died in 1242. His altar tomb is in a recess in the wall of tbe south aisle, beneath a pedimental canopy, crocketed and terminating in a finial. On the tomb lies the full length effigy of the warrior, in chain armour, his legs crossed, and his feet resting on a lion. In the upper part, against the wall, are three shields of arms, and the knight carries a shield on his left arm. In the centre of the chancel is an ancient monumental brass, bearing the effigy of a priest with a chalice on his breast. It is the memorial of "Roger Goodeale, rector of this church," but the date is gone. Amongst the testamentary burials recorded in the Torre Manuscript, under the date 17 May, 1429, occurs "Roger Gudale, rector, to be buried between the two pillars against the holy water pot." The registers date from the year 1661. The living is a rectory, valued in the at £36 14s. 8½d., and now worth £700 net per annum, derived from 602 acres of glebe, allotted at the inclosure in 1774 in lieu of tithes. The present rector, the Rev. John William Stanbridge, B.D., St. John's College, Oxford, was presented in 1883.
There are places of worship in the village for the Primitive Methodists and the Wesleyan Methodists. The chapel belonging to the former body was built in 1837, and that belonging to the latter in 1868. The National School was erected in 1864, at the joint expense of John Grimston, Esq., of Neswick, and the Rev. George Thomas Clare, rector of the parish; average attendance about 80.
NESWICK is a township in this parish containing 980 acres, belonging solely to Capt. J. Grimston, who is also lord of the manor. The rateable value is £1,302, and the population in 1891 was 54. The hamlet is situated about one mile north-east of Bainton. Neswick Hall is a fine old mansion, standing in a well-wooded park of 200 acres. The manor anciently belonged to the Mauleys, and their castle is supposed to have stood here.
[Description(s) from Bulmer's History and Directory of East Yorkshire (1892)]
- Transcript of the entry for the Post Office, professions and trades in Bulmer's Directory of 1892.
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.