Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: BAINTON.     Church dedication: SAINT ANDREW.     Church type: Rectory in charge.

Area, 2,320 acres. Harthill wapentake. Bainton Beacon. -Population , 358 *1; Church-room, 650; Net value, £757. -Peter de Mauley held in Bainton nine and a half carucates of land (which made one knight's fee), whereof the Prior of Gisburne held in frankalmoigne five oxgangs ; also six oxgangs more, on suit of the King ; and Mr. Thomas de Grimston six other oxgangs, on suit ; likewise the Prior of Ellerton nineteen oxgangs, and Roger de Lynton thirteen oxgangs ;-and the Church is endowed with half a carucate of land.

Nigel held Bainton at the time of the Survey, under the Earl of Morton. He had there two ploughs, a priest, and ten villanes, with three ploughs.

This Church was anciently of the patronage of the Lords Manby, from them it came to the Salvins, Knights, and after Queen Elizabeth's time the Gees presented. Sir William Gee, in 1611, left the Advowson to St. John's College, Cambridge. This did not, it seems, take just effect, as in 1619 Ralph Salvin presented, and then the Hodgsons. The perpetual Advowson was finally purchased by the College for £700, and the President and Scholars first presented in 1741.

Torre gives a catalogue of the Rectors of this Church.

Valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £66. 13s. 4d.; in the King's books, at £35. 14s. 8d., after deducting for Synodals and Procurations 12s., and Thraves £3. 13s. 4d.; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 339, it is stated : " Rectory, £192. Mr. Robert Johnson, an able preaching minister."

A Chantry is named in the Valor Ecc. For an account of the tenure of the Manor and Advowson, see Blount, p. 22.

An Inclosure Act was passed 14th Geo. III.

The glebe house is fit for residence.

The Register books commence in 1561. Several chasms.

Charity:
Poor's Stock, benefactor unknown. Interest of £30, distributed by the overseers among the poor at or about Lady-day. - Vide 9th Report, page 739.

Post town: Driffield.


References:
Torre's MS., page 1295. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. ii. page 71. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Bagenton), pages 81. 203.


Notes:
*1 In 1834, the Population was returned at 418.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.