The Ancient Parish of BARMBY MOOR
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"BARMBY MOOR, a parish in the wapentake of Harthill, and liberty of St. Peter's; 2 miles W. of Pocklington. Is a perpetual curacy, under the patronage of the Dean of York, and the present incumbent is the Rev. James Addison, the church is dedicated to St. Catharine (see Churches for photograph). One vicar is ordained in this chapel and that of Fangfoss, each reckoned a separate parish, yet make but one vicarage. This is a place of great antiquity: it was formerly a market-town, and has still one market day annually, on the Thursday preceding St. Peter's day. The annual feast is kept on the day following. The inhabitants enjoy considerable privileges and immunities, on payment of 6s. to the Dean and Chapter of St. Peter's, such as freedom from toll, &c. Pop. 440."
"BARMBY MOOR INN, in the parish of Barmby Moor, and wapentake of Harthill; ¼ mile NE. of Barmby Moor, 1½ mile W. of Pocklington. This is a large and commodious inn, where travellers are accommodated with post chaises. It has been kept by its present owner and occupier, Mr. Thomas Heard, thirty-six years. The letter bags to, and from Pocklington, are received and delivered here, and the coaches from York to Hull, make it their house of call."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Photographs of the over 460 gravestones etc in Barmby Moor Churchyard with linked surname index.
- Transcript of the entry for Barmby Moor in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Barmby Moor.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the East Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the The Post Office Directory of the, East and North Ridings, 1857
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Kelly's Directory, for East and North Ridings, 1872
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1892. of the East Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1892 History and Directory of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Barmby Moor to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE778490 (Lat/Lon: 53.93129, -0.816558), Barmby Moor which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)