[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"BARMSTON, a parish in the wapentake and liberty of Holderness; 6 miles S. of Bridlington. A pleasant village situated at the northern extremity of Holderness, it is very near to the North Sea, and is much frequented by the people of the neighbouring villages, who come here to purchase gravel to repair their roads with, which is left in abundance on the shores of Barmston by every tide. The church is a very ancient building, dedicated to All Saints (see Churches for photograph), of which the Rev. John Gilby is rector; in the interior is a marble monument, representing in full figure a Scotch Lord, in armour, with a griffin at his feet. Population 205.
The nobleman whose memory this monument commemorates was the lord of the manor, which was given to him for his valour and essential services rendered to his country. In 1726, Sir Griffith Boynton founded an Alms-house here, for four old men, and endowed it with a small annual stipend for each. --The repairs and stipend were charged by Sir Griffith upon the manor of Haisthorpe. The old Hall, anciently the residence of the Boynton family, is now occupied as a Farm-house. It is moated round. There is also a school and master's dwelling-house, built by Sir Francis Boynton, Bart, for the accommodation of the place; he is lord of the manor, and patron of the living."
"WINKTON, in the parish of Barmston, wapentake and liberty of Holderness; 6 miles S. of Bridlington. Long since been swallowed up the sea."
- Photographs of over 200 gravestones in Barmston Churchyard with linked surname index.
- Transcript of the entry for Barmston in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1892 History and Directory of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Barmston to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TA162591 (Lat/Lon: 54.014839, -0.22812), Barmston which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The Roll of Honour in All Saints Church, Barmston.
- The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient) parish, but I have no further information on them other than the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
- (TA144604) High Stonehills
- (TA149611) Low Stonehills
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish