Hide

BARMSTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

hide
Hide
Hide

"BARMSTON, a parish in the northern division of the wapentake of Holderness, in the East Riding of the county of York, 6 miles to the S. of Bridlington. Hull is its post town. It is in a pleasant situation on the sea-coast, and includes part of the township of Ulrome. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York, of the annual value of £1,065, in the patronage of Sir H. Boynton, Bart. The church is dedicated to All Saints. There is an almshouse founded by Sir G. Boynton in 1726, and endowed with £15 a year; and a schoolhouse, built by Sir F. Boynton. Barmston Hall, a moated house, the old seat of the Boynton family at Burton Agnes, is now occupied as a farmhouse."


"ULROME, a chapelry in the parishes of Skipsea and Barmston, N. division of Holderness wapentake, East Riding county York, 5½ miles S.E. of Burton Agnes railway station, and 7 S. of Bridlington. Hull is its post town. The village is situated near the coast of the North Sea. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York, value £74."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013