[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"BEEFORD, a parish in the wapentake and liberty of Holderness; 8 miles ESE. of Driffield. A very pleasant village, situated on the high road from Hull to Scarbro'. The church, of which the Rev. W. Welbank Childers, M.A. is rector, is dedicated to St. Leonard (see Churches for photograph), and the King is the patron; here are also two chapels, one of the Independent and the other of the Methodist persuasion; and a free school, conducted on Dr. Bell's plan. Pop. 620.
At the time the enclosure of the lands within this township took place, a field containing 11 acres, was laid out, in lieu of certain balks, for the repairs of the church."
"BEEFORD GRANGE, (the seat of Sir George Wood, Knt.) in the township and parish of Beeford; 1 mile N. of Beeford, 10 miles from Great Driffield, 11 from Bridlington."
"CROWGARTH, in the parish of Beeford, wapentake and liberty of Holderness; 7 miles ESE. of Driffield. Pop. included with Beeford."
"DUNNINGTON, in the parish of Beeford, wapentake and liberty of Holderness; 2¾ miles NNE. of Beeford, 7 miles NNW. of Hornsea. Population, 76.
Here was formerly a chapel to Beeford: the foundation is all that at present remains. The chapel yard is still a separate inclosure and a burial ground."
"LISSETT, in the parish of Beeford, wapentake and liberty of Holderness; 2¾ miles NNE. of Beeford, 6 miles SSW. of Bridlington. Here is a small Chapel of Ease (see Churches for photograph), incumbent the Rev. John Mason, curate of Beeford. Pop. 95."
- Here are photographs of Churches in the parish:
- St Leonard's Church, Beeford (view 1).
- St Leonard's Church, Beeford (view 2).
- The Church of St James' of Compostella, Lissett.
- St Nicholas' Church, Dunnington (view 1).
- St Nicholas' Church, Dunnington (view 2).
- Methodist Chapel, Beeford.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Beeford to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TA128542 (Lat/Lon: 53.971573, -0.281796), Beeford which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient) parish, but I have no further information on them other than the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
- (TA140513) Moor Grange
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish